Portabello mushrooms stuffed with an Italian sausage stuffing and covered in a creamy, homemade alfredo sauce.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1 lb Italian sausage
1 tsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh basil, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup garlic croutons, ground
¼ cup milk
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups heavy cream
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Mushrooms: Clean top of mushrooms with damp cloth. Place on a sheet tray, stem side down. Bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven until ready to stuff.
- Stuffing: Brown sausage in a nonstick skillet, crumbling sausage into small pieces. Once browned, drain fat and transfer to paper towel to cool.
- Beat eggs with milk in a medium bowl. Mix in parsley, basil, garlic, croutons, and Parmesan cheese. Add cooled sausage and mix well. Mixture should be wet but firm and hold together easily.
- Top pre-baked mushroom caps with sausage mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Sauce: Heat cream in saucepan and lightly boil until half its original volume, being careful not to scorch. Mix in Parmesan cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Spoon 2 oz of sauce over top of each mushroom. Garnish with parsley.