Green tomatoes pan-fried in a cornmeal and breading and served with a homemade tangy horseradish sauce for dipping.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish sauce
1/3 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pinch ground black pepper
1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 medium, firm green tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs or cornmeal
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dipping Sauce: In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, paprika, salt, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper; mix well. Keep sauce covered in refrigerator until needed.
- Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place milk, flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs.
- In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown. As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with dipping sauce.