A traditional homemade eggnog for those holiday parties.
-By Christine (Salzer) Strommen
8 large eggs, preferably organic
2 1/4 cups superfine sugar
8 oz brandy
8 oz rum
4 oz bourbon
1 qt milk
freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Separate the eggs from the egg whites, setting the whites aside for a moment.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the yolks with a hand mixer until completely combined. Add the sugar and beat until it reaches a creamy consistency.
- Add the brandy, rum and bourbon, and then the milk, beating well.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form (be sure before beating the whites that you have cleaned and thoroughly dried the beaters).
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk, sugar and alcohol mixture. Refrigerate the mix until well chilled (at least three hours). You may also refrigerate it overnight if desired.
- Stir to recombine as needed. Serve the eggnog in mugs, topping each serving with some nutmeg.