Fresh raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries soaked in Frangelico, Sambuca, or Amaretto, and then served on anisette toasts with a heap of whipped cream topped with chocolate shavings.
-By Julie (Peterson) Strommen
½ pint raspberries
½ pint blackberries
2 pints strawberries, sliced
1 nip (2 oz) of Frangelico, Sambuca, or Amaretto (generous)
2 cups heavy cream
¼ cup sugar
2 packages anisette toasts (Stella D’oro), cut into bits with serrated knife
1 3.5-oz bar bittersweet chocolate (Ghirardelli)
- In a bowl, combine the berries with the liqueur of choice. Let the berries sit and macerate while you make dinner.
- Whip up the cream with the sugar, using a hand mixer, until soft peaks form. Reserve the whipped cream in the refrigerator.
- Once dinner starts winding down, arrange the bits of anisette toasts in a shallow serving dish with sides.
- Top with the booze-soaked berries, spreading them over the toasts.
- If the whipped cream has lost some of its air, give it a quick beat with a whisk. Top the berries with the whipped cream.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave curls from the side of the chocolate bar, letting them cover the whipped cream.