Danishes spiraled with an almond-cream cheese, and baked with chopped almonds on top. These are served warm with an almond-flavored icing drizzled over the top.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
2 3-oz pkgs cream cheese, softened
1 tsp almond extract
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup slivered almonds, chopped fine
2 8-oz cans crescent dinner rolls
1 egg white
2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
½ tsp almond extract
4 tsp milk
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, almond extract, and sugar until fluffy. Fold half of the almonds into the mixture.
- Separate 1 can of dough into 4 rectangles. Firmly press the perforations to seal. Press or roll each piece of dough to form a 7X4-inch rectangle, and spread each with about 2 Tbsp of the cream cheese filling to within ¼ of the edges. Starting at the short end, roll each rectangle tightly into a cylinder. Repeat with the other can of dough and remaining filling. Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while the rolls are chilling. Remove from the refrigerator and cut each roll into 4 slices. Place ½ inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg white with 1 tsp water. Brush over the swirls. Sprinkle with the remaining almonds.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until light brown.
- While the swirls are baking, combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Cool the swirls for 3 minutes on wire racks placed over a sheet of waxed paper. Drizzle the icing over the warm swirls.