A sweet, sour cream and whipping cream Norwegian bread flavored with anise seed and vanilla. This is usually eaten in the morning.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup whipping cream
¼ cup melted butter
1 ½ cup sugar
1 tsp anise seed (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
4 ¼ cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
- Mix sour and whipping cream together and let stand. Combine melted butter, sugar, egg, anise seed and vanilla; gradually add to cream mixture. Blend well.
- Add sifted dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mixing with knife or spoon (by hand).
- Chill dough for easier handling. May be left in refrigerator overnight.
- Take out small portions at a time and cut off small pieces. Roll to about 7” and as thick as your finger. They raise big in baking.
- Bake in 425 degree oven, 10 to 12 minutes or until nicely browned. Makes around 30.