These are a traditional Norwegian roll. They can be rolled up with cinnamon, sugar, and butter for a dessert roll.
-By Christine (Salzer) Strommen
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 lb butter
1 cup milk
1 cake yeast
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1/4 C. cold milk
- Warm milk slightly and let yeast raise (double) in 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp sugar.
- Mix flour, remaining sugar, and salt. Cut in butter.
- Beat eggs, and add yeast mixture.
- Add remaining milk to yeast mixture. Mix into dry ingredients. Let rise to double its bulk.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thick, the size of a large pie. Cut into 8 pie-shaped pieces. Roll large end to small. Let rise again. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool and frost while still slightly warm.