This Irish bread is made with baking soda, buttermilk, and cranberries.
-By Julie (Peterson) Strommen
Nonstick vegetable oil spray (PAM)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
5 Tbsp sugar, divided
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp butter (chilled, cut in cubes)
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, 4 Tbsp sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bowl and blend.
- Add butter. Use fingertips to blend in the butter until coarse meal forms.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk and blend into the dry ingredients. Add cranberries.
- Flour hands and shape dough into ball. Transfer to pan and flatten slightly. Cut a cross or “X” into the batter. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp sugar.
- Bake for about 40 minutes (until brown and toothpick comes out clean). Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temp.