A lemon bread with a sugary lemon sauce poured over the top.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
Finely shredded zest of 1 large lemon
2 large eggs
½ cup 1% fat milk
¼ cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup sugar
Juice of 1 large lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8½X4½X2½ inch loaf pan with canola oil cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, canola oil, and vanilla. Combine wet and dry ingredients into a thick, lumpy batter. Pour the batter into pan, spreading evenly with a spatula.
- Bake cake 40 minutes until knife comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and insert a thin knife vertically into the cake in 8-10 uniformly spaced places.
- Glaze: In a small, heavy, saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the mixture is bubbling and frothy on the surface, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour evenly over the surface of the hot cake.
- Let the glazed cake cool completely in the pan on the rack. Run a thin-bladed knife around the inside edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Carefully invert the cake onto the rack and lift off the pan. Turn upright onto a serving plate, slice thinly, and serve. Store the cooled cake tightly wrapped at room temperature for up to 4 days.