A traditional German Christmas stollen recipe.
-By Christine (Salzer) Strommen
16 cups flour
1 1/4 lb butter
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cup warm milk
2 tsp salt
grated shell of lemon
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 oz citron
1/4 lb almonds
1 lb seedless raisins
lg cake yeast
- Set the yeast with milk, and stir in 1 cup flour. Let rise.
- Cream butter with sugar, add eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
- Add lemon rind. Combine the two mixtures.
- Add flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Sprinkle small amount of flour over the dried fruits. Mix and add to dough with nuts.
- Let rise until double its bulk. Toss on floured board. Divide into equal loaves.
- Roll out slightly, spread top with melted butter, fold over. Brush melted butter over top.
- Let rise until doubled and bake in a 350 degree oven about 45 minutes.
- When slightly cool, brush with plain icing or powdered sugar.