Fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, dill, and tomato paste are simmered with heavy whipping cream.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp butter
3 large tomatoes, sliced
½ tsp salt
1 6-oz can tomato paste
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups water, divided
¾ cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
1-2 Tbsp finely minced fresh dill or 1-2 tsp dill weed
- In a large saucepan sauté onion and garlic in oil and butter until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper; cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in tomato paste.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and ½ cup of water; stir until smooth. Stir into saucepan.
- Gradually stir in remaining water until smooth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place mixture in a sieve over a large bowl. With the back of a spoon, press vegetables through the sieve to remove seeds and skin; return puree to pan.
- Add cream and dill; cook over low heat just until heated though (do not boil).