Smoked sausages, onion, carrots, turnips, thyme, parsley and capers cooked in a broth.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 onion, chopped
1 ½ Tbsp butter
¼ lb smoked link sausages (about 4 links), cut ¼-inch thick diagonal slices
3 carrots, peeled and cut into match-like sticks
1 large turnip, peeled and cut into crosswise slices ¼-inch thick
3 cups water
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp capers
Fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until limp.
- Add sausages and carrots.
- Cut turnip slices into quarters and add to pan along with water, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Cover, heat to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add capers just before serving, heat through.
- Sprinkle top of each serving with chopped parsley. Makes 6 servings.