A creamy soup with smoked ham, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, peas, and dill, served with nutmeg sprinkled on top.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 small head cauliflower
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups green beans, cut in 2-inch pieces
1 ½ cups green peas
¼ lb cooked smoked ham, diced fine
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
2 ½ cups water
6 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 egg yolk, beaten
Dried dill weed
- Break cauliflower into small flowerets. Place in a large kettle with carrots, beans, peas, ham, salt, sugar and water. Cover and gently boil just until vegetables are tender. Drain vegetables, saving liquid.
- Melt the 6 Tbsp butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to make a smooth paste.
- Gradually add milk, cooking and stirring to make a smooth sauce.
- Gradually add liquid remaining from cooking vegetables, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir a little of the hot liquid into egg yolk. Gradually add egg mixture to soup liquid in saucepan, beating briskly.
- Add cooked vegetables and heat thoroughly.
- Ladle into hot soup bowls. Top each serving with a thin pat of butter and a light sprinkling each of dill weed and nutmeg. Makes 8 servings.