Meatballs, peas, onion, and carrots in a thickened beef broth with a touch of sherry.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 small onion, peeled, minced
¾ cups carrots, pared and diced
5 Tbsp flour
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
5 beef bouillon cubes
1 lb chuck, ground
1 tsp seasoned salt
¼ cup dried bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
½ 10-oz pkg frozen peas
4 Tbsp sherry
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 Tbsp butter. In it, sauté onion and carrots until golden brown.
- Add flour, cayenne pepper and bouillon cubes, then add 5 ½ cups water and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make meatballs combining meat, ¼ cup snipped parsley, seasoned salt, bread crumbs and egg. Form into about 25 balls.
- In a skillet, melt 1 Tbsp butter. In it, sauté meatballs until brown on all sides. Add to soup together with frozen peas and sherry and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve as a main dish soup in individual bowls, sprinkled with parsley. Makes about 6 servings.