A homemade pot pie made with chicken, onion, cream of chicken soup and cream of mushroom soup, mixed veggies, fresh mushrooms, and cheddar and mozzarella cheese. This is baked in a homemade, flaky pie crust.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
½ cup onion, chopped
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
6 Tbsp ice water
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 cup shortening
- Pie Crust: in a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Place ½ cup of flour mixture in a small bowl and stir in water until smooth. Cut shortening into remaining flour mixture until it looks like coarse meal. Blend in the flour-water mixture. Wrap dough and chill in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Place chicken breasts, onion and poultry seasoning in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Simmer over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Drain and dice chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onions, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, mixed vegetables, mushrooms, and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide pie crust in half and roll out two sheets. Lay one sheet in bottom of greased and floured pie plate. Pour chicken mixture over pastry. Cover with second sheet. Seal edges of top and bottom pastries. Cut steam vents in top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.