Authentic Chicago-style Italian beef sandwiches, made with beef roast, garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and broiled green peppers all served on a hoagie roll.
-By Christine (Salzer) Strommen
4 lbs beef roast
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 large green peppers
1 Tbsp instant beef bullion granules
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 cup water
- Combine garlic, salt and pepper. Rub evenly over roast. Place in pan and cook in oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes per pound.
- Pour drippings into 1 cup measure. Skim off fat and discard. Reserve drippings. Cover roast and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Meanwhile place green pepper in broiler, 10-15 minutes or until skin blisters, turning occasionally. Place peppers in paper bag. Close and let stand 15-20 min. Remove skin and cut in strips.
- Add water to drippings to equal 5 cups. Combine with bullion, Italian seasonings, oregano and red pepper in large saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Slice roast beef across grain, add pepper. Serve on hoagie rolls with some green peppers and beef broth drizzled over the top.