Fried chicken with a seasoned buttermilk breading.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
2 chicken breasts
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp baking powder
Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in cast iron frying pan to 350 degrees. Also preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, pepper, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, and baking powder with a whisk.
- Pour buttermilk into a separate bowl.
- Wash chicken, then dredge in flour mixture, followed by coating it in the buttermilk, and then coating it really well in the flour mixture again. Do with both pieces of chicken.
- Drop chicken into frying pan. Cook for 12 minutes, turning chicken 3-4 times during cooking being careful when turning to not let the breading come off.
- Remove chicken from frying pan and place on a baking sheet. Bake in oven for 10-12 additional minutes.