Beef tenderloin marinated in bourbon, brown sugar, soy sauce, cilantro, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme, and then grilled and served with horseradish sauce on the side.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 cup bourbon
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
½ cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups water
3 to 4 springs fresh thyme, chopped
1 beef tenderloin, silver connective tissue removed
Oil for grill
- Prepare marinade by combining bourbon, brown sugar, soy sauce, cilantro, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, water, and thyme.
- Be sure tenderloin is completely trimmed of any fat and connective tissue. Fold the tail end of the beef back underneath itself so that it is of uniform thickness. Secure with butcher’s string.
- Pour marinade over meat, cover, and refrigerate 8 to 12 hours. Turn meat over several times during that time.
- Prepare grill for cooking (or preheat oven to 350 degrees). When fire is ready, place meat on oiled grill, reserving marinade. Cook over high heat with lid closed, turning often; occasionally baste.
- Cooks rare in about 30 to 45 minutes in the oven. Serve with Horseradish sauce on the side.