A beef stew made with chuck roast, onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and simmered in a dark beer sauce.
-By Carrie Lennie
Chuck roast cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bottle Leinenkugel’s Creamy Dark beer
32 oz beef stock
3 or 4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
½ small can tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp sugar
2 carrots, chopped
2 parsnips, chopped
½ turnip chopped
1 ½ Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Brown chuck roast in butter over high heat. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Turn flame down to low. Add chopped onion and garlic to pot and stir until translucent (about a minute).
- Add beer, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste to stew. Stir in paprika and sugar. Stir pot until all ingredients are mixed together. Add meat back into the pot.
- Cover pot and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Add carrots, parsnips, and turnip. Set them to simmer for about 30 minutes or until the veggies are nice and tender.
- Add a little cold beef stock to flour and whisk together until thin and smooth (about the consistency of milk). Pour into pot and mix it into the stew. Let cook about 10 minutes until the stew thickens.
- Add parsley and serve with Wisconsin Cheddar Grits.