Roundsteak rolled up with bacon, ginger, and cloves, and served with a brown gravy.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
3 lb round steak
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp ginger
- Flatten steak and cut into pieces of 2×3 inches. Sprinkle spices on meat and place a piece of bacon on top. Roll up like jellyroll. Fasten with toothpicks.
- Brown in hot fat. Cover and bake in low oven (325 degrees) for about 1 hour, uncovered last 15 minutes to crisp bacon.
- To make the gravy, pour fat from pan into container. Measure back into pan 2 Tbsp fat and blend in 4 Tbsp flour. Stir over low heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups water. Return to low heat and stir until thick and smooth. Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Pour gravy over the meat. If made with potatoes, gravy will go well over those too.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.