Bone-in chicken breasts, seasoned and stuffed with green peppers, onions, and mozzarella cheese.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
2 small onions, divided
3 red and/or green peppers, divided
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ tsp salt, divided
½ tsp pepper, divided
½ tsp dry herbes de provence (Spice Islands’)
4 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 oz each)
½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Finely chop 1 onion; cut remaining onion into wedges. Finely chop 1 pepper and cut others into strips. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion, chopped pepper, garlic, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper and herbes de Provence. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, 4 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to handle with fingers.
- Separate skin from breast meat leaving skin attached. Tuck ¼ of onion and peppers mixture and 1 Tbsp cheese under skin of each breast. Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt and pepper; place in shallow roasting pan.
- Roast until no longer pink near bone and juices run clear when pierced with fork, about 40 minutes.
- Add remaining pepper strips and onion wedges to roasting pan during last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to platter; drizzle with pan juices.