Tender pork spare ribs, oven roasted, and smothered in a sweet and smoky barbecue sauce.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
2 slabs pork spare ribs, about 1 foot long
Salt and pepper to taste
Sweet and smoky barbecue sauce (I use “Cookies” brand)
- Season pork ribs with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place ribs in a roasting pan.
- Put about 1 inch of water in the bottom of the pan. Be careful not to let the water run over the top of the pork when filling the pan and make sure the water level is below the top of the pork because the seasonings will rinse off. You can make more than 2 slabs, but then make sure the water is still below the surface of the lowest slab.
- Cover the roasting pan and bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove the water from the pan. If you are cooking more than two slabs of ribs, you will want to move them to a baking sheet or larger pan so they can be laid out in a single layer. Otherwise you can keep them in a single layer in the roasting pan if they fit.
- Smother the top of the ribs with the barbecue sauce. Turn oven up to 375 degrees and bake the ribs, uncovered, for about ten minutes or until sauce is nice and bubbly.