Flour-coated chicken, pan-fried, and then sauteed with onions, mushrooms, and raisins in a cream sauce, all served over a bed of rice.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
2 ½ to 3 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
About ¾ cup butter
1 medium-sized onion, peeled and sliced
½ lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup raisins
2 tsp paprika
2 ¼ cup chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup regular rice
- Coat chicken in flour seasoned with garlic salt and pepper. Melt 1/3 of the butter in a heavy frying pan, quickly brown chicken pieces on all sides, remove from frying pan and set aside.
- In same frying pan, melt 2 Tbsp more of the butter to the frying pan, add onion slices and sauté just until limp.
- Arrange chicken pieces over onions. Sprinkle with the 2 tsp paprika. Sprinkle mushrooms and raisins over chicken. Add ¼ cup of the chicken stock and the cream.
- Cover pan and simmer 45 minutes or until very tender, basting occasionally with juices in bottom of pan.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat and stir rice in 2 Tbsp butter until toasted. Add the remaining 2 cups chicken stock, cover pan and cook rice until tender, about 20 minutes.
- At serving time, turn rice onto heated platter, arrange chicken and sauce on top of rice. Garnish platter with parsley sprigs and a dash of paprika. Makes 4 to 6 servings.