Turkey and peas mixed into a creamy, cheesy sauce, which is poured into toasted bread cups. Great for using up the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers!
-By Shirley (Buckner) Salzer
1 – 2 lbs cooked turkey and whatever you can remove from carcass
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans milk (maybe a little less)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small jar of pimento, drained
1 small or half of large Velveeta block cheese, cubed
1 16-ox bag frozen peas
9 slices white bread
Lots of melted butter (melt as needed)
- Mix soup, milk and onion. Bring to a simmer on the stove, stirring frequently with a wire whisk until no longer lumpy.
- Add pimento, Velveeta and frozen peas. Cook until cheese is melted and peas are heated through.
- Cut cooked turkey into small pieces. Add into the soup mixture. Heat through, and then keep warm on low heat until bread cups are done.
- To prepare bread, cut the crust off. Baste both sides of the bread with the melted butter. Push the center of each piece of bread into a muffin tin leaving the corners sticking out the top (so they form little cups). Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown. Try not to over heat or it will dry out.
- To serve, place the bread cups on a plate and pour some of the soup mixture in each cup.