Cabbage stuffed with an apple-raisin stuffing, served in a creamy white wine sauce.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
2 – 4 lb white winter cabbage
Baked Apple Raisin Stuffing, uncooked
Creamy White Wine Sauce
- Plunge cabbage into boiling water. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until leaves just start to get tender.
- Temporarily remove cabbage from water. Remove a few of the loose outer leaves and set aside.
- Make a hole in the cabbage by removing the thick stalk and art of the heart. Fill with the Baked Apple Raisin Stuffing. Place the outer leaves over the hole and bind in place with a thin string.
- Place cabbage back in water. Add salt to the water and cook slowly for about 2 hours.
- Divide stuffed cabbage onto dinner plates. Ladle some Creamy White Wine Sauce over the top and serve.
Note: You can also stuff and roll individual leaves. To do this, initially boil the cabbage for 10 minutes instead of three so the leaves are easier to remove and roll. Make sure to fold in sides before rolling to make sure the stuffing doesn’t come out. Fasten each roll with string and boil for 30 minutes. Serve with sauce.