Sometimes called Jewish Dumplings, this is a noodle, stuffed with a beef mixture, and boiled in your favorite broth.
-By Christine (Salzer) Strommen
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp cold water
1 1/2 cups finely-chopped cooked beef
1 wire-beaten egg
1 tsp grated onion
- Sift flour with salt and make a well in the center of flour. Add eggs and water. Mix with hands until dough becomes a compact ball.
- Knead on lightly-floured board until smooth and elastic. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Roll out on a lightly-floured board as thin as possible. With a sharp knife, cut into 2-inch squares.
- Top each square with 1 tsp of meat. Moisten edge with water and fold the noodle over the meat to make a triangle, securing edges.
- Drop into your favorite broth, one at a time. Simmer slowly for 15 – 20 minutes. They will float.