This zucchini stuffed with a sausage, mushroom and onion stuffing that is then topped with Parmesan cheese and Alfredo sauce is a great way to use those zucchinis that grew to be too large.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1/2 lb Bob Evans savory sage sausage
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup chopped baby bella mushrooms
1 cup plain breadcrumbs, moistened with water (wet, not pasty)
1 jumbo zucchini (larger than 1 foot in length)
1 1/2 cups Alfredo sauce (any kind you like)
1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break up and cook sausage in a skillet until it just starts to turn brown.
- Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic to the sausage and continue cooking until sausage is no longer pink and the mushrooms and onions are tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix the wet breadcrumbs into the sausage mixture.
- Cut the zucchini in half both length-wise and width-wise so that you have 4 quarters. Use a spoon to scrape out and discard the seeds.
- Place the zucchinis in a 9X13-inch glass baking dish, skin-side down. Stuff the zucchinis by distributing the sausage stuffing into the four zucchini quarters.
- Bake stuffed zucchini in oven for 30 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and Alfredo sauce and continue baking for another 10 minutes.