This homemade turkey gravy is a Thanksgiving tradition in the Strommen family. It also makes good use of the insides of the turkey that most people just discard.
-By Christine (Salzer) Strommen
Turkey insides minus the liver
½ cup diced onion
¼ cup flour
½ stick butter
season salt & pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
- Brown meat in butter with onions. Season with season salt and pepper.
- Add water to ½ inch deep in pan. Cook for at least 1 hour adding water to keep ½ inch deep.
- Throw meat away (unless you want to eat it). Add 1 cup of water to pan and bring to a boil. Add the chicken bouillon cube.
- Meanwhile, shake ¼ cup flour and 1 cup cold water up in a closed container until flour dissolves.
- Slowly whisk in flour mixture into pan. Cook on low until gravy thickens.