Vanilla extract made from fresh vanilla beans and bourbon whiskey.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
2 vanilla beans
½ cup bourbon
- Split the vanilla beans lengthwise, then cut them in half crosswise. Put the beans, including any seeds that may fall out, in a clean glass jar.
- Add ½ cup of bourbon, seal the jar, and give it a vigorous shake.
- Put in a cool, dark cupboard for 2 weeks and shake it well every day.
- After 2 weeks, let the extract sit undisturbed for 2 more weeks. It is ready to use after that.
- If you keep replenishing the extract that you use with an equal amount of bourbon, the beans should last you for at least a year or longer if you use less extract.