A traditional Christmas cookie made with ginger and molasses, and iced with a vanilla icing.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 Tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1/4 C. cold water
- In a large bowl, sift and mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar and egg.
- Stir in the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, then add the molasses and vanilla.
- Let the dough rest at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick and cut with a cutter.
- Bake 7 ½ minutes on a greased cookie sheet.
- Blend frosting ingredients together – spread on cooled cookies or use decorator.