Cookie dough spiraled with a chocolate fudge to make a unique pinwheel cookie.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg yolk
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp shortening
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder, gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll out the dough into a 12×10-inch rectangle between two sheets of waxed paper; transfer to a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl (or double boiler), melt chocolate chips and shortening. Stir in the walnuts, milk and vanilla.
- Remove waxed paper from dough; spread with filling. Tightly roll up jellyroll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into ¼-inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.