This Norwegian treat is more like a pie than a cake. The crust is covered with raspberry jam with another layer of almond paste. The pie is then topped with a criss-crossed crust.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 cup blanched almonds
¼ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup egg whites, unbeaten
¼ cup butter
1 ½ tsp almond extract
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 ½ cup sifted flour
1/3 cup raspberry jam
- Using a very fine blade of food chopper, grind almonds 3 times. Blend with powdered sugar, unbeaten egg whites, 1 egg, ¼ cup butter and almond extract. Refrigerate this mixture.
- In small bowl, with electric mixer on medium, mix ½ cup butter with granulated sugar and 1 egg. Fold in flour, refrigerate this dough 15 minutes.
- On lightly floured wax paper, roll 2/3 of dough into 11-inch circle, 1/8-inch thick.
- Place dough side in 9-inch layer cake pan. Carefully pull off paper. Fit in pan; patch if needed to make the top even.
- Spread jam, then almond paste over dough on pan bottom.
- Roll reserved third of dough into rectangle 1/8-inch thick. With pastry wheel, cut 6 8×3/4-inch strips. Lay 3 strips, 1 ¼ inch apart, over almond paste; lay rest at right angles.
- Reroll pastry trimmings; cut 5 5×3/4-inch strips. Place, end to end, against inside edge of pan; with pastry wheel, trim even with top of cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, cool in pan. With spatula, carefully lift out cake. Serve, cut into wedges.