A 3-layer cake with walnuts and whipped cream on the top of each layer.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
1 ½ cup soft butter
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cup commercial sour cream
1 ½ tsp vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp salt
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp sifted brown sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and the 2 cups sugar. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream and the 1 ½ tsp vanilla.
- Sift flour, measure and sift again with baking powder, soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat to blend thoroughly.
- Divide batter among 3 greased 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake pulls away from sides of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake layers to cool in pan a few minutes, then turn out on wire racks to cool well.
- Whip cream with the 1/3 cup brown sugar and the ½ tsp vanilla.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer on platter, spread top completely to edges with 1/3 of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with ½ the chopped walnuts. Top with another cake layer, repeat with spreading of cream and nuts. Top with third layer, spread remaining cream over top.
- Sprinkle with the 1 Tbsp sifted brown sugar and decorate with walnut halves. Makes 12 to 16 servings.