Key lime pie with a meringue topping and a graham-cracker crust.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
5 large egg yolks
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp grated lime zest
½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
½ cup heavy cream
1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker crust
4 egg whites
6 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp cornstarch
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and condensed milk. Stir in the lime zest, lime juice and cream.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake about 20 minutes or until firm.
- Remove pie from oven. Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- In a second bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the sugar mixture a little at a time to egg whites, beating between additions. Continue to beat until the sugar dissolves. Spoon the meringue over the hot pie filling.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes more or until the meringue is golden. Serve the pie warm or at room temperature.