A cherry Jell-O mold made with dark sweet cherries, cherry Jell-O, ginger ale, and cream cheese.
-By Christine (Salzer) Strommen
1 17-oz can pitted dark sweet cherries, undrained
2 3-oz pkg cherry flavored gelatin
2 cups boiling water, divided
1 cup ginger ale
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
lettuce for garnish
- Drain cherries, reserving 3/4 cup liquid.
- Dissolve 1 box of gelatin in 1 cup boiling water; add ginger ale. Chill until thickened but not set; fold in cherries.
- Pour into lightly oiled 1 1/2 quart mold; chill until almost set.
- Dissolve second box of gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Add Reserved liquid.
- Gradually add gelatin mixture to cream cheese, mixing until well blended.
- Pour over molded layer; chill until firm.
- Unmold onto serving plate; surround with a garnish of lettuce. Makes 6 to 8 servings.