This is a classic pumpkin pie recipe. Our family would eat this every Thanksgiving served with Cool Whip on top.
-By Christine (Salzer) Strommen
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp ice water
½ Tbsp white sugar
½ cup shortening
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 15oz can Libby’s pure pumpkin
1 12oz can nestle carnation evaporated milk
1 unbaked pie crust
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Place ½ cup of flour mixture in a small bowl and stir in water until smooth.
- Cut shortening into remaining flour mixture until it looks like coarse meal. Blend in the flour-water mixture.
- Wrap dough and chill in refrigerator. After chilled, roll out (don’t over roll or it will get tough) and place in a pie plate.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- Pour into shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Top with cool whip before serving.