Rich chocolate mousse with a coffee flavor.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
6 4-oz bars Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate
2/3 cup extra-strong brewed coffee
4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
1 ½ cups sugar
2 cups whipping cream
- Break the chocolate into small pieces; melt the chocolate with the coffee in the top of a double boiler.
- Using a fork, beat the egg yolks slightly; stir in 1 cup of the sugar and mix well.
- Add this mixture to the melted chocolate and leave over the heat, stirring until well blended and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool to the touch.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the cream with the remaining ½ cup sugar until soft peaks begin to form. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Gently spoon the mousse into your prettiest glass bowl(s) and chill thoroughly.