A blueberry, strawberry, and raspberry cobbler with a buttermilk crust.
-By Carrie (Strommen) Lennie
2 cups blueberries
4 cups raspberries
4 cups strawberries, stems removed, halved lengthwise
¼ cup raspberry jam
1 Tbsp instant tapioca
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch square nonreactive metal pan or ceramic baking dish with canola-oil cooking spray. (Do not use a glass dish)
- In a bowl, combine the blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, jam, and tapioca. Using a rubber spatula, stir gently to coat the berries with the jam. Spread the fruit in an even layer in the prepared pan.
- To make the crust, in a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ½ tsp salt.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale, about 3 minutes by hand. Mix in about half of the buttermilk. Add about half of the dry ingredients and stir until almost combined. Stir in the remaining buttermilk. Add the remaining dry ingredients and stir until a thick, sticky batter forms. Do not over mix.
- Drop the batter by heaping spoonfuls over the fruit. Spread it as evenly as possible, using the back of the spoon. Some fruit will be exposed.
- Bake the cobbler until the crust is deep golden brown and the fruit juices bubble up around the edges and through any cracks, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool to lukewarm before serving. Scoop the cobbler from the dish onto dessert plates and serve.